Connecting People and Empowering Communities
Our purpose statement is Upholding the dignity of the human person through investment, business and work.
A more just society with enhanced potential utilization and opportunities created for the less privileged.
At Jumpstart Africa, we are guided by the following core values:
- Integrity – We seek to be accountable, transparent , honest and fulfilling commitments in all we do
- Customer-centricity ( Internal and external customers experiencing a positive feeling when they do business with us)
- Teamwork ( We develop mutual trust and respect between employees and clients and we deal with team dysfunctions in a constructive way)
- Empowerment – We enable people to be able, we give them enough information to make their own informed decisions with an abundant mentality – we enjoy seeing our employees and clients develop and prosper)
- Inclusiveness –
Jumpstart Africa is committed to empowering the poor especially women to rise out of poverty. In this work, Our primary role is
- To avail and to guarantee access to short and medium term financial services for enterprise to women and vulnerable youth
- Long-term financing for less risk-averse investments that can be used to support ministry.
Through this, JAIS hopes creates employment and opportunities for poverty reduction through business. We also hope to engage in Christian corporal works of mercy, social corporate responsibility, invest in education, training and empowering of women and vulnerable youth, and leaders in Church and society.
Why Small Scale Enterprises (SMEs) financing?
SMEs play an important economic role in many countries. When household incomes increase, there may be a corresponding increment in that country’s Per Capita Gross Development Product (GDP).
Like in many developing countries, there are key challenges in Uganda that hinder SMEs from accessing credit facilities. These include; high interests on principle thus high cost of repayment, stringent collateral requirements, and unwillingness of significant others to act as guarantors, high credit facilities’ processing fees and repayment periods incommensurate with credit advanced. These are further confounded by a regulatory policy framework that is not properly enforced thereby leading to exploitation both on the part of the borrower and on the part of the lender.
Because of this, JAIS comes in with a unique approach to bridge the gap by availing a more flexible, affordable, and attractive requirements in financing SMEs for vulnerable women and youth for start-ups, growth and expansion, long-term financing for housing , education, land development including agro-forestry, fruit and crop farming as well as agro/food value addition.
Our Philosophy is inspired by the Catholic social teaching on the Dignity of Work
We seek to uphold human dignity in all our operations. Our philosophy is inspired by the catholic social teaching on the dignity of work which states that
“The economy must serve people, not the other way around. Work is more than a way to make a living; it is a form of continuing participation in God’s creation. If the dignity of work is to be protected, then the basic rights of workers must be respected–the right to productive work, to decent and fair wages, to the organization and joining of unions, to private property, and to economic initiative.”