Do you know that millions of people in Uganda lack access to formal financial services? Do you know that this limits their ability to start or grow their businesses, create jobs and improve their living standards? Do you know that there is a social enterprise that is using technology to change this situation?
In this blog post, I will introduce you to JumpStart Africa, a social enterprise that uses micro-finance to catalyze economic growth, expand financial inclusion and alleviate poverty in under-served communities in Uganda. I will explain how we use technology to deliver micro-loans and what benefits they bring to their clients and society.
What is JumpStart Africa?
JumpStart Africa is a social enterprise that was founded in 2016 Fred Mawanda and Pauline Mawanda who wanted to make a difference in their country Uganda. They saw the potential of micro-finance as a tool for poverty alleviation and social empowerment.
They also saw the challenges of providing financial services to low-income households and small enterprises in rural and urban areas and together with the JumpStart Africa team decided to use technology to overcome these challenges and create a more inclusive and sustainable financial system.
JumpStart Africa’s mission is connecting people and empowering communities through the provision of financial services1. Various types of loans, such as group loans, individual loans and micro-enterprise loans are offered1, which enable clients to start or grow their businesses, create jobs and improve their living standards. JumpStart also create global partnerships, leverage new business models and technologies, and measure social impact23, to ensure that their services are affordable, innovative and impactful. One of the recent partnerships was with Inveniam Capital
How does JumpStart Africa use technology to deliver micro-loans?
- Increase affordable credit availability and reduce leaks in subsidy and welfare distribution using digital platforms, mobile money, biometric verification, credit scoring algorithms, etc.
- Boost savings and insurance using mobile wallets, automated reminders, and peer-to-peer lending.
- Raise diversified sources of capital using crowdfunding, impact investment, and blockchain.
- Enhance customer service and satisfaction using chatbots, SMS notifications, and online feedback.
Technology enables JumpStart Africa to reach more clients, reduce operational costs, increase efficiency and transparency, and tailor their products and services to the needs and preferences of their clients.
What are the benefits of JumpStart Africa’s technology use to underserved entrepreneurs?
Technology helps JumpStart Africa achieve its mission of connecting people and empowering communities through the provision of financial services12. Technology helps JumpStart Africa’s clients to:
- Earn more income and build assets expanding their businesses, diversifying their products or services, and accessing new markets.
- Cushion themselves from external shocks having access to emergency funds, insurance products, and social support networks.
- Invest in better nutrition, housing, health care and education having more disposable income, financial literacy, and health awareness.
Technology also helps JumpStart Africa create a positive social impact in the communities they serve. In this case, Impact is measured through the lens of the customer2, using indicators such as income growth, asset accumulation, poverty reduction, gender equality, financial inclusion, etc. We also share impact stories on our website4, where we showcase how our clients have transformed their lives with the help of our micro-loans.
How can you support JumpStart Africa?
If you are inspired JumpStart Africa’s work and want to support us, there are several ways you can do so. You can:
- Donate to their cause through their website1, where you can choose how much and how often you want to contribute.
- Invest in their projects through their crowdfunding platform1, where you can select the projects that align with your interests and values.
- Partner with them as a donor, investor or service provider through their website1, where you can find more information about their partnership opportunities.
- Spread the word about them on social media or your own blog using the hashtag #JumpStartAfrica or tagging them @JumpStartAfrica.
In supporting JumpStart Africa, you are not only helping them provide micro-loans to low-income households and small enterprises in Uganda. You are also helping them create a more inclusive and sustainable financial system that empowers people and communities to achieve their dreams.
You can contact us at email@example.com